Journey through space to the Planet Fabulous, where the Ruler of the Universe will see you shortly.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Is It Just Me...

Or does anyone else get this SpiderSense-like tingling that the new Ricky Gervais show 'Extras' will be a pile of old cack?

You mark my words* it's beginning to sound more and more like a vehicle for Gervais' lazy, one-tone gurning. And I dislike star vehicles - the last I had the misfortune to catch was 'According to Bex', the sit-com created for dear Jessica Stevenson of Spaced fame. A vehicle with clearly no-one at the wheel, and a pleading look in Jessica's eyes whenever she looked to camera that undoubtedly cried 'Get me out of here!'

I feel one should approach 'Extras' with trepidation. And a big stick for poking.


( * 7/10 for overly-dramatic portent.)
 

6 comments:

kim said...

Hmn. Ok, Now According To Bex wasn't *actually* created for Jessica Stevenson (who we ADORE).

It was created for...

wait for it...

Martine McCutcheon.

Now does it all make sense?

Lee said...

Aaaaaaaaah.

Yes. More than you could possibly imagine.

Adriana said...

Ah the lovely Jessica. Due in no small part to her fabulousness I tuned in most weeks like a brave little soldier and watched it through my fingers and no small amount of shandy booze. It didn't help. Now the question is, if it wasn't created for her, why did she do it?

cyberpete said...

Money?

j(aded) said...

I think i read something about that over here... hasn't it got like jude law and kate winslet in it? 2 of my all-time favs so i hope it's not as bad a you're predicting!

Rob said...

Surely that's the problem, though? It's got them in to compensate for the general weediness of the central concept.

I one-off I could see working. But a series, nah...