Journey through space to the Planet Fabulous, where the Ruler of the Universe will see you shortly.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

All Hit Radio!

Regular reader Ian Atkins, who adores nothing more than getting hold of my glittering column each day, has sent me the most marvellous New Favourite Thing. How about creating your own radio station?

It's hilarious fun! You tick some genres, and it suggests things that you may like in return. It's rather like letting a fifteen year old give you head: you gently praise it when it does well, and you berate it when it uses too much teeth - er, I mean, when it pops up with Genesis rather than some nice Spice Girls. And there's some joyful innocent sort of fun to be had in clicking 'Never Play Me Dido Ever Again'. It's almost as therapeutic as that hit I put out on Mick Hucknall last year!

 Click for to launch!

It does take a little bit of training, though. About ten minutes ago, the interface went 'Oooooh! Ri-ii-ii-ght. Cher, Kylie, Laura Brannigan... you're one of those Gentlemen Who Are A Little Too Knowledgeable About Exfoliation, aren't you. Ok, er, here's some of that marvellous Sandi Shaw then. And Lulu's up next!'.

Honestly, I've worked with dullard secretaries who have figured it out faster. Bless.


(Why not try it yourself here? And tell us all about it!)



ADDENDUM
This is a public health warning:
I have just spent the last half hour putting Geri Halliwell songs in rank order. Do approach this software with care.
 

13 comments:

Broadband Ian said...

Not the first time I've seen the words "rank" and "Geri Halliwell" in the same sentence. But certainly with a different meaning to all the others.

And yes, I too had the delight early on of clicking the "never play this moon-faced tone-generator ever again". Why do they not just have a default setting where No Dido gets played. Ever. And you could undo it if need be - all they need is a button with "please click here if you are Dido".

Broadband Ian said...

Oh, and I was offered far more Laura Brannigan than I was comfortable with.

Broderick said...

This was a very good insight into the darker, private world of Lee Binding. It takes forever to load up, you have to fiddle with the equipment a lot, and then a whole bunch of squealie caterwauling comes out.

Strangely... compelling... must put back on obtuse indie rock filled headphones before... seduced... by... sirens...

Lee said...

I couldn't possibly comment on what you mean. Minx.

Nan said...

I just found your blog the other day - i plan to lurk in the corner drinking a martini for a little while - maybe a jack and diet coke - hmmm...

anyway - been doing the yahoo radio thing for a while and i have to say - a year later and I still get a song every once in a while where I wonder where it came from and how they got the idea I'd like it.

Broderick said...

Well, Lee, if you can leave thinly veiled innuendo-laced comments on my blog, I can do the same to you, sure!

Wait, innuendo, what? That was a perfectly innocent description of the program and nothing more!

CyberPete said...

It's playing Kylie - Shocked now, I approve!

c'lam said...

ooh great - i've been looking for a way to fill up yet another week off work.

Broadband Ian said...

Dear The Gays,

While on a musical subject, if anyone's passing G.A.Y at some point, can they check out something I saw today, but can't now confirm:

They have a huge sigh indicating acts to be there soon, one of which is described as: "Sarah, Nadine, Kimberley, Cheryl... Girls Aloud!"

Now to my crude maths, someone is missing. Can you please confirm that it's now not just The Straights who are being unkind about the Girl Aloud who had a fire on her face put out with a shovel?

kyknoord said...

Half an hour well spent, I'm sure.

tornwordo said...

But wait, how do I get fifteen year olds to do that trick for me? I'll risk the teeth, daredevil that I am.

mainja said...

see, you know i'm going to get sucked right into this now, don't you? *sigh* oh well, off i go...

HNB said...

Hi, I think it's great to offer your thoughts and ideas across to a worldwide audience for comment. I like to write about many things that affect my life and at present, this blog broadband insight is what has been bothering me. I know that the subject matter is totally different from the one that you're writing about perhaps similar things do affect us all in some way. Perhaps you will pay it a visit sometime!