Journey through space to the Planet Fabulous, where the Ruler of the Universe will see you shortly.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

In The Interim...

I went to a Christmas carols concert.

I've never had much truck with carols, bar Silent Night because a) the original can reduce me to a teary snotty mess and b) there's a very hilariously filthy version that this weird elderly woman at the end of our road taught me. No, for me, there's nothing more Christmassy than Phil Spector's 'A Gift For You' he did in the sixties, back when he believed that percussion on every one of his tracks was best achieved by recording a box of tambourines being thrown down the hall stairs.

And you get 'Santa Claus is Coming To Town' by The Crystals, who were clearly munching on a patch of magic mushrooms out the back of the studio. "Jimmy, I've just come back from a lovely trip alooooong the Milky Way," says Crystal #1, who for this instance shall be known as Crystal Meth. If you were little Jimmy, wouldn't you be thinking that Gran's been at the sherry again? Or possibly been sectioned, cause then she adds: 'I stopped off at the North Pole to spend a holiday'. Oh yes. If you were in any doubt that Santa Claus was real, dear old Crystal Meth has blunderbussed it out of the sky by putting it all together with her Club 18-to-Loony trip around the galaxy.

Anyway. This carol concert. It was the Gay Men's Chorus hosting it. And it was notable for one thing: they had an imaginary snowball fight half-way through and they still threw underarm. Hilarious.

11 comments:

The Lady Muck said...

Heehee. Next year - I want a national tour. Imaginary snowball fights. Loves it

Fuckkit said...

Can't use real snow, might get unsightly chapped hands (or heaven forbid, break a nail) and that would never do.

Broderick said...

Yayyyyy! Lee's back!

rhino75 said...

I'm just SOOOO pleased that someone else loves that Phil Spector album as much as I do. Darlene Love's LA-based "White Christmas" complete with talky bits is another highlight. FAB

MinCat said...

he's baaaack!!! wheeeeeee

Qenny said...

I'll join in the (a)rousing chorus of "Yippee! Lee's back" (not that I've ever seen his back, mind).

But also ... I think I might have to send my sexuality in for an MOT. Last time I had a snowball fight (which was with my luvverly husband not two days ago ... actually, three) neither of us threw underarm.

I'm curious, though, about the mention of the original version of Silent Night. Are we talking the German rendition here? I do recall gales of laughter at the verse that includes the lines "Mary bends, his face to see", largely because it's difficult to sing a comma, and without the meaning changes into an entertaining observation about child abuse in the holy family.

Inexplicable DeVice said...

So glad you're back. Was beginning to think someone had made off with you (or you had made off with someone...)

mainja said...

and, once again, without surprise, you made me laugh out loud, and of course, read out loud to john as he sits doing boring computer shite.

Reluctant Nomad said...

You're kidding about the underarm throwing, right?

Happy new year!

Spike said...

Happy New Year. May all your wigs be glossy.

Lee said...

Thank you all most heartily for the round of applause upon my return.

One *does* like a warm hand on one's entrance.