Journey through space to the Planet Fabulous, where the Ruler of the Universe will see you shortly.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Two sides to every story

I work for a TV listings magazine. Anthony Daniels, best known as prissy metal queen C-3PO in the Star Wars movies, is appearing in a few upcoming episodes of BBC1's daytime job-dodger fodder Doctors. Today, our features editor has asked me to arrange an interview with him.


Second half of the story first:

I phoned Anthony's agent.

ME: I was wondering if I could interview Anthony about his forthcoming appearance in Doctors.

AGENT: I see. This is for [magazine name deleted], is it? Hmm. What kind of thing would you like to talk to Tony about?

ME: Well, obviously, we'd like to chat about his work on Doctors, how he found it working on a soap, that kind of thing.

AGENT: Hmm.

ME: And, as a lot of our readers would know him from his work on Star Wars, I'd like to ask a couple of questions about that.

AGENT: Hmm. How long would this take? Will it be face to face, or just over the phone?

ME: Well, it would only be, say, 15 to 20 minutes of Anthony's time, so over the phone would be fine. Really, no trouble at all.

AGENT: I see. 15 minutes... Well, I'll have to talk to Tony, obviously, and see what his schedule is like. I can't get hold of him today, as he's very busy. I shall try to phone you in the morning, and I'll let you know what Tony says.

ME: Thank you.


First half of the story second:

I tried the press officer for Doctors first, as it's normally easier to arrange things that way.

ME: I was wondering if I could interview Anthony about his forthcoming appearance in Doctors.

PRESS OFFICER: Oh, I'm afraid you'll have to speak to his agent, as he's filmed all his stuff now, so he's not with us any more.

ME: OK, no problem.

PRESS OFFICER: But I can't imagine you'll have any difficulty. I mean, it's not like he's going to be busy with anything else! [LAUGHTER]

7 comments:

Reluctant Nomad said...

Oh, the cruelty of the showbiz world!

Eden said...

The funniest part is how you structured this. I love it!

GayProf said...

Ouch!

MQ said...

This was quite amusing... but I was completely distracted while reading it by the most overwhelming incident I've ever had of déja vu. Not as in "David you've done this before" but as in that weird phenomena that happens in one's head sometimes. It's really freaked me out. Anyone know a cure?

Spike said...

Beer.

c'lam said...

hehe

and did he find time to squeeze you in?

David said...

I have heard *nothing* from him. Well, all that bitter ranting about how Star Wars ruined his life must take up a lot of time...