Journey through space to the Planet Fabulous, where the Ruler of the Universe will see you shortly.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Feminist Organ

If you've been wondering - and I don't suppose you have - where I've been, I've spontaneously combusted. Like Johnny Vegas in Bleak House, only with slightly less fuel on board. Oh! He must have burned for a while.

I forgot that drinking white wine often gives me a headache. I was led astray... A whole bottle at lunchtime on Monday. And then, in the afternoon, the baking sun hit my side of the office, streaming through the windows. Oh! Didn't I feel woozy. It'd be a lie to say that I almost wept with gratitide when I was allowed to go home at quarter to six. But only because I'd been marshalling every ounce of concentration remaining to present a studiously unpissed facade.

All I could do on Monday evening (after a miserably circuitous journey home following the closure on Waterloo) is prop myself up and peer glumly at the TV. I watched a programme about feminists on BBC2 ("We needed to discover what it meant to be women outside the framework of a male dominated society. So we wore sensible shoes" Tough women), Mark Lawson's interview with David Baddiel on BBC4 ("That's you that is!") and a couple of programmes about Kenneth Williams (was pleased to hear he had a fling with a handsome Australian. Otherwise: more bitter than Fuller, Smith and Turner's distillery).

It's nice to stay in and watch telly sometimes, but last night it was a bit cooler and I actually managed to venture out. A friend had called and asked if I'd like to join him seeing The Organ at King's College Student Union. Well, how could I pass up the opportunity. Students *and* an Organ! As it happened, the Organ were five Canadian girls who, I thought, played some good music. Mind you, funny name for a bunch of girls. Luckily there was a bit of organ, otherwise a stern letter may have been necessary.

And now it's the middle of the week already! I have some chilled fizzy drinks, some posh ice creams and tonight I'm off to see some comedy. They'd better make me laugh. Ida Barr is the main attraction if that means anything to you. I shall get back to you. Until then, stay cool people!

---

Lee is hiding. Under ground.

7 comments:

CyberPete said...

Have a good one and lots of ice cream.

Miss Cellania said...

I can read about your everyday activities and PRETEND I have a life!

Just Call Me Fabulous said...

haha, a bottle of wine with lunch? Piss ass drunk in the middle of the workday, that's awesome.

kyknoord said...

Studiously unpissed facade presentation is nothing short of Herculean. You are a god.

Lee said...

He's lying, you know. His 'studiously unpissed facade' basically involves him staring off into the middle distance and blinking a lot.

Broderick said...

The Organ are quite good but a bit monotonous...

Qenny said...

I've heard Ida Bar is very good, but have yet to sample her delights for myself. I'll look forward to a review :)