Journey through space to the Planet Fabulous, where the Ruler of the Universe will see you shortly.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My Best Friend's Book

A while back, before the World Cup turned my neighbourhood into a flag-waving, horn-tooting Portuguese ghetto, I went for tapas with my friend Dorothy. (Yes, I know. If I only had a heart.) After a few plates of chorizo sausage we went back to mine and I ordered her a cab back to the wilds of South London, where she stays when she's back in the country. Luckily there's a shop that's open all hours on South Lambeth Road, because I'd forgotten to stock up on gay tea for her visit. She flew back to Sydney the following day, leaving me with 18 lemon and ginger tea bags. I've been trying to develop a taste for it, but to no avail.

Dorothy has lived in Australia for over a year now. She swears by having pins stuck in her - actually, I'm with her on that one, I'd swear if someone stuck pins in me - and she writes books. Now, I know loads of people who write books, and good books too... but they always seem to be about some supporting character in a Dr Who audio play, or the third series of Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda. Dorothy writes proper grown up books. Stories about real situations: chocolate addiction, complicated relationships and men who can't get rid of their erections. I imagine that her books are read by a lot of women but please, *please* don't call them chick-lit. Unless you're very sure you're never going to bump into the esteemed author. She's Fierce. Fuck knows what that means, but they're always saying it on Big Brother, and I think it might fit the bill.

At the risk of this turning into an advert, her latest book, My Best Friend's Girl, is going to be on the Richard and Judy book club on 26 July. Well, it will... as long as Richard Madeley isn't too busy telling the nation what a nice pair of tits his wife has.

Well, I'd better get down the station. I'm off to see my Mum.

---

We lost Lee down the back of the sofa. Again.

7 comments:

DanProject76 said...

I've sold loads of that book in my bookshop. Dorothy seems very popular for a new(ish) author... Is it any surprise you're a friend of Dorothy? Er...

Tickersoid said...

Dorothy, I think I know her, fancy red slippers, dog called Toto?

Loudlush said...

Men who can't get rid of their erections? Are you sure she's living in Australia? Am laid low with flu in sunny (not) Melbourne so will send the boy out for recommended tome this arvo.

Limehouse Dan said...

Bought - yes, I'm THAT easily swayed.

Qenny said...

My friend Adam swears by putting a bit of sugar into herbal teas. Makes them much more palatable, allegedly.

Adam said...

My friend Qenny is correct, I too am stuck with a cupboard full of gay tea, and my rule of thumb is, the more expensive the honey you dollop into it, the nicer it'll be. But ginger and lemon? That'll need at least a Fortnum and Mason's Tasmanian Leatherwood, i reckon...

Howard said...

Can we call them chi-clit instead?