Journey through space to the Planet Fabulous, where the Ruler of the Universe will see you shortly.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Best Piece of Graffiti I Ever Saw...

...made me laugh myself silly in a toilet in Charing Cross.

Of course, being a slightly autistic Virgo I have to have a list of my favourites. I've got lists in my head for everything from 'Best Colour for Jam' to 'Top Three Things to Dance To At A Wedding' (#3: 'Oops Upside Your Head', #2: 'Blame It On The Boogie', #1: 'Groove Is In The Heart'). I won't bore you with the full list of things I've seen in toilets - goodness, if we weren't just talking about words, we'd be here all night! So in second place comes the delicious scrawl I saw on the bottom of one of those three-quarter length doors as I idly kicked my legs at the side of my porcelain throne. It simply read:

'BEWARE! LIMBO DANCERS!'

Genius.

The other one is a little more long-winded. Bear with me. I was sitting on a toilet in the Gent - on my own for once - when I noticed some scrawling above the door.

'We are not of this race. We are not of this Earth. We are wanderers in the fourth dimension of Space and Time.'

Ah, look. One of the more famous lines from the first episode of Doctor Who, from way back in 1963. How lovely to find it daubed on a bog wall over 35 years later.

To which, some time later, someone had added underneath in blue biro: 'Who wrote this nonsense?!'

Different pen underneath, in a slightly matter-of-fact tone: 'Anthony Coburn, © BBC 1963.'

Aww. How nice. Educated graffiti artists.

There was a line underneath that. I was hoping for a rebuttal; that 'Nonsense Man' had come back with avengeancee and was going to slap down whoever was quoting classic cult television in a gentleman's WC.

But no. What you got was someone in such a lovely and excited manner saying this:

'I have a balloo-oo-oon!'

Snot everywhere. Aww!

3 comments:

MR J TO YOU PLOISE said...

What were you doing in the gents on your own? hmm?
shame on you. you're spoiling my illusion.
xx

Dazskins said...

In an underpass in Bristol (just passing, I assure you) I saw "maybe she's born with it, or maybe she's one of Satan's little helpers...". I can't watch those Maybelline adverts anymore - I get scared.

Dazskins

Dinah said...

I love bathroom art like that. I'm going to be thinking "balloo-oooo-oon" all day and laughing at inappropriate moments.