Journey through space to the Planet Fabulous, where the Ruler of the Universe will see you shortly.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

New Lamps For Old

Sex changes. I've been wondering about them of late.

There is the woman at the end of the road, she with the enormous bosoms and equally large claims she had a successful pop career in the eighties - we always wonder whether she's undergone 'gender reassignment' but we never get into that situation comfortable enough to ask. Sure we've gotten drunk together - hell, she's already half-cut by the time the milkman comes 'round - but never that comfortable drunk you can get. Mostly as she'll have your wallet.

The reason I know her is she's very good at the old fortune-telling - something I've known to dabble in from time to time. My preferred method is the tea-leaf (utterly true) while she gets her divine inspiration from the length of Meryl Streep's hair in that week's National Enquirer. She's quite good. Though clearly she gets sidetracked whenever there's a pre-Oscar wig doing the rounds. Everybody tends to be going to meet a 'tall, dark stranger with split ends' that week.

I do worry for her; I'm accidentally surrounded myself with transsexual media of late, and all of it can hardly be described as 'uplifting rom-coms for the whole family'. 'Hedwig and The Angry Inch' on the DVD, 'Myra Breckenridge' to read - why both of them are almost pivotal with the fact that the titular heroes can barely stand themselves. It makes for easy drama to say "this person didn't like themselves before the op, they sure as well don't now - but they do have better nails". It comes to something when Ugly Betty is showing us the way forward; their character of Alexis seems as normal as the rest of them. Well, that's not saying much, but you get the idea.

They say to know a person, walk a mile in their shoes. Well, I'm pretty rubbish in stillies - my ungraceful gait means I cause sparks when I do a quick turn - but I can imagine the sheer longing if you feel like you're in the wrong body.

I mean, I get testy when my hair-clips don't match my belt.

8 comments:

Arlene said...

Cute entry! I wish everyone was as comfortable with us as you seem to be.

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Well, just be thankful you're not a post-op tranny, if that's what happens when accessories don't match.

.

.

Ohhhh... 'Testy... Silly me!

Becky said...

I was born in the right body, I just like pretending otherwise. :-)

But I know a lot of TSs, and while there are a lot of happy, well-adjusted ones, there are a group of people who call themselves TS but seem to be using as a mask for bigger problems. When your life isn't very happy it's great to be able to blame all your problems on one cause, which isn't necessarily healthy. There are a lot of very unhappy people calling themselves TS. Maybe the writers of stories about transsexuals are picking up on that.

I've walked more than a mile in those shoes, but I'm no closer to understanding them. But you're right that generally TSs get a bad rap in the media, and they deserve better.

kim said...

Becky - that's just people. They're TSes too, just differently-problemed TSes.

I remember having a shocking realisation about ten years ago that *I didn't have to like all gay people, just because I was gay too*. It turns out the distribution of idiots, loons and just-plain-objectionable-dullards is almost exactly the same in the gay population as the straight. I imagine it cuts the same way in the TS/TG population, too...

Nomes said...

I have a 'tranny-shagging-ex-fiance' (and I can only JUST start wearing my stilletos and boas now).

But I still LOVE Eddie Izzard...

Qenny said...

It is possible, of course, that Hedwig wouldn't have been as angry if she hadn't been left with that unwanted inch.

Spike said...

Everybody loves Eddie Izzard. Particularly in that pink frock.

Pandora Caitiff said...

Myra Breckenridge is a great character, and I love Vidals writing. If you enjoy it, try its sequel "Myron"