Journey through space to the Planet Fabulous, where the Ruler of the Universe will see you shortly.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

That Shane MacGowan Is A Catch, Isn't He?

Oh if only I had a tenner for every time I heard 'It's political correctness gone mad!' yesterday, I'd have enough cash to finance Britney's Starbucks for three hours. I'm sure you heard: Radio 1 decided to cut 'a slut on junk' and 'faggot' from the Christmas anthem 'Fairytale of New York'.

Naturally Peter Tatchell, the bird-like Gentlemen Who Likes Showtunes who apparently is the spokesman for the gay community, had a comment to make. He always does, mostly because Soho doesn't crawl out of bed til 2pm and he seems to be up and about come sparrow's fart. He claims that the use of the word is derogatory. Now sometimes I agree with his politics, sometimes I don't. This time I don't - in my time I have been a scumbag, a slut on junk and a faggot. I don't mind. I'm at ease with my inner faggot. And my outer one. And the ones that go in and out (we're back to being the slut on junk again, sorry).

It's fine, really. We don't mind. And personally I'm glad they're reinstating it as its brilliant to get drunk and put it on the jukebox and shout that verse at whoever you're with. Lets face it, no decent party is replete without most of the people listed in that song.

And lets face it, at this rate, we'll have to call it the 'Tale of New York' too.

6 comments:

Stuart said...

I agree. I was mortified on Monday when radio1 played the censored version! bravo from whoever saw sense and went back on this decision!

Qenny said...

It does get more than a little bit irksome when one queen, who is probably overcompensating for being a seething pool of self-loathing, decides to get offended about something trivial, and suddenly starts telling the world that we are all offended. Sadly broadcasters and other decision-makers seem to listen and respond to those who complain because the majority who don't mind don't feel the need to say so.

Damn it, our lives are being ruined by party poopers!

Orchis said...

This song was first released in 1987 and has been popular ever since. My question is, how come Mr Tatchell has only just got around to being offended by it ? Does he have a great big list of things to be offended by and only just got round to this one ? Or does he just not get out much ?

Peach said...

radio one should be boycotted, the boring wankers...

Let's Kill Saturday Night said...

Merry Xmas !

Fuckkit said...

He's only just gotten round to be offended by it coz he's a very busy man, what with all this being morally outraged on behalf of the entire gay community. Its a big responsibility.