Journey through space to the Planet Fabulous, where the Ruler of the Universe will see you shortly.

Friday, February 05, 2010

Mind the Gap

In the seeming ongoing quest for my boyfriend to play 'Enry 'Iggins to my Eliza Doolittle, we went to the opera on Monday. So far his attempts to educate me have been subtle twists in established routines: swapping my viewing of Star Wars with some French arthouse film (I only noticed when the subtitles were not about Han owing money to Jabba the Hutt, but how without you, today's emotions would be the scurf of yesterday's). To the side goes my Garfield books, in comes copies of 'Vile Bodies'. Which, to be perfectly honest, I didn't take to: I understand a book has a point about reality intruding on the lives of the fabulous, but when your main drama is a side character not being able to take a hotel room because she's wearing trousers, your interest does waiver slightly. Waugh, huh? What's he good for - absolutely nothing. Say it again.

So this opera. I didn't catch the title, but it was something called 'Rick's Prolapse' and I willingly misheard it as that for the whole night. I've had limited sucess with the opera in the past; being plonked in front of 'La Boheme' during my teenage years and not being able to understand why this enormously fat diva in the gorgeous dress is dying of not being able to afford the medicine for her catch-all consumption. For one, if she'd hired the dress out to the Boy Scouts they could have held their jamorees in it and she'd be quids in for some Beecham's.

Anyway, 'Rick's Prolapse'. Gorgeous staging, terrible music. Nasty nasty tunes that veered far too close to being a few notes away from Andrew Lloyd-Webber's seminal work 'The Phantom of the Opera' (I use the word seminal because, yes, it was a load of old wank). I did mostly enjoy it, although much more hanging around the bar at lunch time to hear campy old women drinking gin complaining about "her aria sounding like she was shouting it out from the scullery" and all the young men there thinking it was cool to now be dressing like the Eleventh Doctor.

One thought did cross my mind while I was watching it, though: 'You know, I could be watching Glee right now'. I think I know my level.

4 comments:

savante said...

Didn't much like my one brush with opera either :) Fortunately my boyfriend's not mad about it!

Vile Bodies? Good God.

ATG said...

I love Glee. :)

Jams said...

I would like to take you to the opera sometime. I only do good opera.

Owen Blacker said...

Glee is indeed truly awesome.

Though I'm now intrigued by Jams's offer — I too fail to be acquainted with opera