Journey through space to the Planet Fabulous, where the Ruler of the Universe will see you shortly.

Monday, May 03, 2010

Cheese And Ham



The 80s were the first decade I can properly recall, you know. So this sudden lust for power ballads and tight perms fills me with the same detached concern my mother had when I started idolising her decade of the 70s, when I was listening toChakka Khan on repeat and wanting hair as straight as Cher's. I think that's why she was concerned, although the impromptu performances of 'I'm Every Woman' with the shower curtain about my shoulders may have tipped her off to the greater problem that she wasn't ever going to getgrandkids. Poor love.

Anyway, last night I thought I'd crack open my '80's Films For Working Girls' box set (currently available from HMV at a very reasonable £8) and brave me some corporate shenanigans with 'Working Girl', and wonder why almost every film in the 1980s was set in an office or a cocktail bar. This one has Melanie Griffiths breathing her way through a corporateaquisiton with all the personality and presence as a hair on the lens. However she managed to get lead roles is a mystery to me now as it was back then. I was hoping to glean some insight into her appeal by reading her self-penned instructional tome 'How I Act Good' but I got to halfway through 'Chapter 1: Vacuuming in High Heels' before I gave up. Not just reading - the will to live.

It doesn't help that La Griffiths is sandwiched between Sigourney Weaver (seemingly constantly checking to see if the scenery has a calorific value so she can eat it) and Harrison Ford, who's just started to sleepwalk through his roles. I saw him in 'Firewall' recently and I'm surprised there wasn't more footage of the director holding a mirror under his nose made it into the final cut. But even him on autopilot has more life in him than La Griffiths. They try and make her interesting by wearing very nasty lingerie several times; the only effect is making her look like uncooked string-tied gammon.

Eventually La Griffiths makes her takeover bid and bags sleepy Ol' Man Ford as well, proving that the moral of every 80s film is either greed is good and will get you laid, or if you can flick a cocktail shaker over your elbow you will also get laid. The other thing I discovered is JoanCusack place in this decade's pecking order: her hair is backcombed so high, she blocks the sun on The Statue of Liberty every time she takes the Staten Island Ferry. Her eyeshadow is so thick and green it looks like she's been getting make-up tips from The Wicked Witch of the West. Oh Joan. I look at you. I think you may have won the 80s. All of it.

8 comments:

Mind Of Mine said...

I love Working Girl, however your remarks about good oul Mel where spot on!!

CyberPete said...

I too don't understand the appeal of Miss Melanie. She has less appeal than the smell of wet dog.

Sparky said...

This made me go back and watch "Working Girl" for the first time in...well, the 80s. And I forgot how eerily accurate a lot of it was. It brought back very, very vivid memories of my daily commute on the Staten Island Ferry to get to high school, a half an hour each way, every day, eavesdropping on those very working girls. Chilling and magnificent all at once, they were.

美書 said...

閒暇為所有財富中最美好的財富..............................

Ellie said...

I like how Joan's earrings match her eyeshadow.

Melanie. Dear. And then there's Antonio.

品華yur1095is_newson1 said...

從人生中拿走友誼,猶如從生活中移走陽光........................................

قمم تميز said...

شركة تنظيف بالدمام نقوم بجميع أعمال النظافة باحترافية افضل شركة تنظيف بالخبر تقدم كافة خدمات التنظيف باستخدام احدث المعدات والمنظفات العالميه والايدى العامله شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام المدربه وصاحبة الخبره الطويله فى مجال التنظيف. شركة تنظيف منازل بالخبر من الأشياء التي لا يمكن الاستغناء عنها لكل منزل أو شقة أو فيلا هو التنظيف شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام ولكل أسرة مستوى معين من النظافة ترغب دائما في الوصول إليه مهما كلفها من ثمن، ولكن بالطبع ... شركة تنظيف منازل بالجبيل

قمم تميز said...

شركة قمم التميز لمكافحة الحشرات بالدمام والخبر والإحساء هي أفضل شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام وواحدة من أهم الشركات التي تعمل في هذا المجال بالمنطقة افضل و اضخم شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام وبالخبر تتميز بانه يتوفر عندها مجموعة مميزة و متنوعة من اقوى المبيدات الحشرية شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر نحن نضع صحتك وصحة أفراد أسرتك في المرتبة الأولى لذا فإننا في شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام نحرص على استخلاص المواد الآمنة على صحة الإنسان في شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام لاسباب كثيره ومنها التخلص نهائيا من الحشرات الطائره والزاحفه ومكافحة الصراصير والنمل الابيض والفئران وبق الفراش شركة رش مبيدات بالخبر شركة مكافحة حشرات مجربه , افضل شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام رخيصة , شركات رش مبيدات بالدمام عمالة فلبينية , شركة الفرسان مكافحة حشرات شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام تستخدم مبيدات خاصة لمكافحة الحشرات الزاحفة كالنمل والصراصير وهذه التركيبات خاصة بالشركة، وهي تخضع للتجارب شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام عميلنا العزيز هل ترغب في شركات متخصصة برش المبيدات وبدرجة امان عالية وباسعار مميزة شركة رش مبيدات بالخبر